This information is also available in Sign Language, via the below links:
Application for Funding
Applications for funding open at 9am on Wednesday 4 November 2020 and close at 5pm on Tuesday 1 December 2020.
Applications are invited from:
- self-employed individuals (for example, tutors, translators, interpreters, technical support staff and sign language researchers)
- and community and linguistic organisations
You will need to demonstrate that a significant part of your income is from sign language practice and that you are currently experiencing difficulties due to work restrictions imposed by COVID-19 protocols.
- Organisations who have worked to promote BSL/ISL and sign language development can apply for financial support for initiatives which meet the criteria.
Activities eligible for support include:
- Capacity building - including leadership development, marketing and business sustainability,
- Digital enhancement for on-line learning and promotion and modifications to events, plans and equipment to ensure COVID public health compliance.
Eligible areas for funding include:
- To deliver a COVID Relief and Recovery Fund to mitigate loss of income and contribute to core running costs for organisations and self-employed interpreters, translators, tutors and session workers which may include funding for professional body fees and small equipment purchases to enable transition to online working eg headsets, blue screens etc.
- To increase sector’s capacity to deliver support through BSL/ISL.
- To support Online Family Sign Language Courses and accredited BSL/ISL courses which provide for continued and enhanced employment opportunities for Deaf tutors, session workers.
- To develop the sector’s capacity for sustainability and renewal during and post-COVID restrictions.
- To facilitate digitisation of BSL/ISL cultural and linguistic material for open online release;
- To assist the development of social media/online Interpretation/Translation of Covid-19 information through BSL/ISL.
To obtain an application form please email: Languages.Branch@communities-ni.gov.uk