The Department for Communities has extended the second term of appointment of two Directors of the Board of Northern Ireland Museums Council (NIMC) from 1 July 2019 until 31 December 2019:
- Mr Roddy Hegarty
- Mr Robin Morton
They have both served on the Council since 1 January 2012.
Notes to editors:
1. NIMC is a company limited by guarantee with charitable status and is governed by its Articles of Association. The work of NIMC is driven forward by the Board of Directors, which is made up of members and representatives from various bodies comprising nominees of the Minister/Department for Communities, representatives from the local authority museums in NI, the National Museums NI, members of local authorities, a nominee of local universities, and representatives of the independent and service museums. Additional members of the Board are co-opted as required.
2. The extension to the terms of appointment have been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice.
3. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments Northern Ireland requires political activity of appointees to be published.
4. Biographical details of appointees:
Mr Roddy Hegarty
Roddy Hegarty is the Director of the Cardinal Tomás Ó Fiaich Library and Archive and a former Chairman of the Federation for Ulster Local Studies Ltd. He brings experience and skills in developing and delivering education and outreach programmes to the body. He has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
Mr Robin Morton
Robin Morton is a journalist by profession, having worked in newspapers for 38 years, before taking early retirement in 2009. Acting in a freelance capacity, he is Ireland correspondent of Steam Railway magazine. He is Events Convenor of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland and is a volunteer guide at Whitehead Railway Museum. He is the congregational secretary of May Street Presbyterian Church in Belfast. Mr Morton brings communication skills and experience to the body. He has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
5. Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3532 or email: Press.firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
6. Follow the Department on Twitter
- Minister opens £1Million Covid Safe Sports Pack Fund 21 September 2020
- Disability Benefits Operational Update 17 September 2020
- Minster announces extension to Child Poverty Strategy 11 September 2020
- New Jobs & Skills page launched on NI Direct 09 September 2020