Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE)

The Northern Ireland Housing Executive is a non-departmental public body, originally established by the Housing Executive Act (NI) 1971 (since superseded by the Housing (Northern Ireland) Order 1981). Under the terms of the Act, the Housing Executive assumed the housing responsibilities of 65 separate authorities and is Northern Ireland’s single comprehensive regional housing authority.


NIHE consists of a 10 member board, including Chair and vice-Chair and is supported by a Chief Executive and approximately 3,190 staff, who manage just under 85,000 dwellings and also has responsibility for numerous commercial properties, leaseholds, garages and areas of land.

In addition the Housing Executive is the Northern Ireland’s Home Energy Conservation Authority and also administers the Housing Benefit Scheme, which provides help with rent to people on low income.

For more information visit the Housing Executive's website

Partnership Agreement between Department for Communities and Northern Ireland Housing Executive

The Department for Communities is the sponsor Department for the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE). Working together, they have agreed to set out the partnership arrangements between them. The Partnership Agreement explains the overall governance framework within which the NIHE operates, including the framework through which the necessary assurances are provided to stakeholders. Roles/responsibilities of partners within the overall governance framework are also outlined.

Anti-social behaviour guidance

This guidance which is issued by the Department to the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) is intended to help the NIHE in dealing with anti-social behaviour which affects or involves its tenants.

It should be read in conjunction with NIHE’s statement on the policy and procedures on anti-social behaviour.


Related to Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE)

Access to information

How to request information from the Department for Communities including Freedom of Information (FOI) and the use of our Publication Scheme. You may also request your own personal information, via a Right of Access Request.

Back to top