The Department for Communities (DfC) today released headline figures on engagement of adults in culture, arts and sport in 2017/18.
In 2017/18, almost nine out of every ten adults (89%) had engaged in some way with culture, arts and sport. This engagement rate was similar to that in 2016/17 (88%) and similar to comparable engagement rates since 2011/12.
In 2017/18, 87% of adults had engaged in culture and arts, an increase on the engagement rate for 2016/17 (85%).
For the first time this bulletin includes the proportion of adults who had visited a place of historic interest (54%) and the proportion of adults who had volunteered (27%).
The publication is available on the DfC website
Requests or enquiries concerning these statistics should be directed to:
Analytical Services Unit
Department for Communities
Gasworks Business Park
Tel: 028 9082 9255
Notes to editors:
- The report presents findings from the 2017/18 Continuous Household Survey which is a Northern Ireland wide household survey administered by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA). Further information on the survey including sample design and response rates is included in Definitions and technical notes of the statistical bulletin
- The report provides information on trends over time in engagement and participation across the various components of culture, arts and sport. The bulletin includes key statistics on sports participation; engagement, attendance and participation in the arts; usage of the public library service; visits to museums and science centres; use of PRONI services; visits to places of historic interest and volunteering
- As in previous years, more detailed analyses will be provided, including breakdowns by Section 75 groups, in further bulletins to be released over the coming months
- Follow us on Twitter
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Communities Press Office on 028 9082 3516 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned
- COVID-19 Service Updates 03 August 2020
- £800,000 Access and Inclusion Programme launched 03 August 2020
- New appointments and reappointments to the Historic Buildings Council 31 July 2020
- Minister Ní Chuilín announces the start of £1.4m public realm scheme 30 July 2020