The Department for Communities (DfC) has announced the appointment of Mr Gavin Boyd as an interim Vice-Chair to the Board of Sport NI from 28 August 2023 until a public appointment competition for a permanent Vice-Chair is completed.
Mr Boyd has served on the board of Sport NI as a Member since 1 August 2021.
Sport NI is an Arm’s-Length Body of DfC and its aim is to develop sport and physical recreation in Northern Ireland, in line with the Recreation and Youth Service (NI) Order 1986 and its current five-year plan “The Power of Sport”. This plan aims to address inequalities within the sports sector and maximise the power of sport to change lives for everyone in society.
Notes to editors:
- The current remuneration for the position of a Vice-Chair is £3,500 per annum, with an expected time commitment of 15 days per annum. Travel and subsistence allowances are also payable.
- This appointment has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland’s (CPA NI) Code of Practice. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, CPA NI requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
- Gavin Boyd is a qualified Chartered Accountant and has held numerous high level positions including CEO of the Northern Ireland Council for Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) and CEO of the Southern and Belfast Education and Library Boards. He led the planning for and creation of the Education Authority (EA), merging five major organisations and creating a regional authority with 43,000 staff and an annual budget of £2bn. He has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
- Department for Communities media enquiries should be directed to the Department for Communities Press Office via email
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Department for Communities celebrates success of Special Olympics Ulster athletes at World Summer Games 21 September 2023
- Competition to appoint Members and Expert Advisors to the Ministerial Advisory Group (MAG) and the Built Environment NI 21 September 2023
- Closure of Boiler Replacement Scheme 21 September 2023
- Department for Communities commits to more investment in Warrenpoint Front Shore 21 September 2023