As Pride 2021 season begins today Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has taken the opportunity to wish everyone a safe and enjoyable time.
Pride events will be celebrated this year from July through to September and aim to promote inclusion and visibility for members of the LGBTQI+ community.
Minister Hargey said:
“It has been a tough year for people who haven’t been in a caring and supporting environment, or where they may have been disconnected from the support networks that existed pre Covid-19. I hope this improves quickly and people get to live their best lives in a society that has learned to value every person for who they are regardless of gender identity, expression or sexual orientation.
“My aim is to help build an inclusive society. I want to wish all of our LGBTQI+ family and friends an enjoyable and safe Pride and I will continue to support and protect the rights of all our LGBTQI+ communities.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to the DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey launches new sports capital works programme 17 September 2021
- Hargey launches £5m fund to retain skills in the creative sector 15 September 2021
- Hargey vows to oppose ‘inhumane’ deportation plans 15 September 2021
- Developing Women in the Community Programme is now open for applications 14 September 2021