Commercial properties in the Church Street and Diamond areas of Coleraine town centre are set to benefit from £300,000 funding announced by Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey.
The Minister has awarded funding of £300,000 to Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council to deliver a revitalisation scheme which will be used to enhance shop frontages, including replacement signage and painting, replacement of rainwater goods and repairs to render and brickwork.
Minister Hargey said:
“This £300k investment is a welcome boost for Coleraine. It will contribute to the long-term economic viability of this busy town and will complement previous revitalise schemes carried out in the Waterside and Railway Road areas. This investment will help local businesses improve their shop facades making town centre shopping in Coleraine more appealing. Through projects like these, my Department continues to help support our town and city centres as they continue the process of economic recovery.”
The scheme will be managed by to Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council. Works are due to commence early in 2022 and be completed by March 2023.
The Mayor of Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council Councillor Richard Holmes said:
“Shoppers and business owners alike will welcome this opportunity to enhance Coleraine’s overall visual appeal. Investment like this allows us to look to the future with optimism as we work together to encourage people to shop, eat and enjoy local to generate greater prosperity in our Borough. Collectively, this will enhance the sustainability of our town centres and we are grateful to the Department for Communities for their continued support.
“This latest Revitalise scheme is focused on the town’s core retail area, including the location of the hugely successful Causeway Speciality Market and I look forward to seeing the completed works creating a newly revigorated town centre environment for the benefit of our visitors and shoppers.”
Notes to editors:
- Funding of up to £300k has been allocated for works on properties in Church Street, Church Lane, Church Lane Mall, Park Street, The Diamond, The Diamond Arcade, Bellhouse Lane, Abbey Street and Queen Street.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on email.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- New Lower Shankill park officially opened 29 September 2023
- Statistics on engagement in culture, arts, heritage and sport released 28 September 2023
- ‘Move to UC’ to begin next month 26 September 2023
- Department for Communities commits to more investment in Warrenpoint Front Shore 21 September 2023