Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced that further public realm works are underway in Ballymena.
Improvements to Pat’s Brae in Ballymena will include new paving, drainage and street lighting. The Department for Communities has provided £259,200 of funding with the Mid and East Antrim Borough Council contributing £28,800.
It comes as a £390,000 improvement scheme on Lower Mill Street, Ballymena, which started earlier this year, completes.
The Pat’s Brae public realm improvements, together with Lower Mill Street, will mean the main pedestrian routes from the train and bus station to Ballymena town centre are greatly improved. The scheme is being delivered in partnership with the Department for Infrastructure, which is managing the works.
Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey said:
“The completion of the scheme on Lower Mill Street and the commencement of the Pat’s Brae scheme, shows my Department’s continued investment in Ballymena town centre. These improvements come at a key time, as town centres begin the recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and my Department is committed to aiding that recovery. Not only does the scheme on Pat’s Brae improve pedestrian routes to the town centre, but it also links access to Ballymena Library, a key asset within the town centre. With restrictions being lifted, people and visitors can return to Ballymena town centre and can see these improvements.”
Mayor of Mid and East Antrim Borough Council, Councillor Peter Johnston, added: “The improvements at Pat’s Brae will further enhance the townscape around Ballymena and are particularly welcome now that we are able to safely welcome people back to our wonderful local businesses.
“It is especially good to see that the pedestrian links in the area will benefit from this work, and together with the improvements that have now been completed at Lower Mill Street in the town, Ballymena Town Centre will be looking even better for all those who live, work and visit over the coming weeks and months.”
Lower Mill Street is now in full use and, whilst work is ongoing on Pat’s Brae, access to premises remains available.
Notes to editors:
- The Lower Mill street scheme was completed in May 2021. The scheme was delivered by the Department for Infrastructure and enhances both the condition and appearance of Lower Mill Street.
- Press enquiries to the DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Minister welcomes completion of public realm improvement works to Bishop Street, Derry 14 June 2021
- Hargey looks forward to newly refurbished Grand Opera House getting back to business 10 June 2021
- Minister Hargey announces improvements to the Affordable Warmth eligibility criteria 09 June 2021
- Another step closer to licensing modernisation 08 June 2021