In response to the Housing Executive’s annual request for a rent increase, the Department for Communities has confirmed that from 1 April 2024, Housing Executive rents will increase by 7.7%.
Rent pays for the housing services provided by the Housing Executive. This rent increase will provide funding for essential maintenance, improvements and investment while also keeping the rent affordable for tenants.
Tenant affordability was once again the Department’s key consideration. 79% of Housing Executive tenants are currently in receipt of housing assistance. These tenants will be protected from the impact of the rent increase.
For the other 21% of tenants (not in receipt of any housing assistance), the impact of the increase was modelled across a range of household scenarios all of which demonstrated its affordability.
The Housing Executive is offering support to tenants through its Financial Inclusion Team which helps tenants by providing advice on benefits, budgeting and signposting to a range of sources of financial support.
Housing Executive rent levels are considered every year by taking into account a wide range of factors, including: inflation; projected running costs; spending requirements and affordability.
Notes to editors:
- The increase equates to an average additional £5.72 per week, increasing the average weekly rent for tenants from £74.24 to £79.96.
- 78.8% of Housing Executive tenants have assistance paying rent through Housing Benefit, Universal Credit or welfare reform mitigation measures.
- For media queries contact the Department for Communities press office
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Communities Minister outlines way forward for Sign Languages 20 February 2024
- My priority is to deliver positive change for people - Lyons 13 February 2024
- Public Appointment opportunity: Appointment of the Vice-Chair and Members to the board of Sport Northern Ireland 08 February 2024
- Reminder to landlords to renew registration 01 February 2024