Further State Care heritage sites will commence a phased reopening to the public from 6 July.
The Department for Communities’ Historic Environment Division (HED) manages some 190 historic monuments in State Care.
At the end of May most outdoor State Care sites opened for access, along with car parks. From 6 July Dunluce Castle, Grey Abbey and Dundrum Castle will be added to the list of open sites. However, there may be restrictions in place at sites and the public is advised to check www.communities-ni.gov.uk/articles/historic-places-visit website for the latest information.
In addition to this HED will be conducting risk assessments that may allow other sites to open by the end of July 2020.
Making the announcement, Communities Minister Carál Ní Chuilín said:
“We want people to enjoy the history and beauty of our heritage sites, and the outdoors and fresh air. Not only is this positive for our mental health but it will also aid the local economy as we begin to emerge from the effects of COVID-19.
“However, we continue to live with this virus so I would appeal to visitors to enjoy these attractions responsibly, adhering to social distancing requirements and hygiene advice.
“At all sites, visitor numbers to sites will be controlled where necessary, card and contactless payment will be encouraged in preference to cash, and stations for hand sanitiser will be erected for the public to use. Please respect the safety of staff and others using the facilities.”
Under current Executive Covid-19 guidance some of HED’s sites such as Carrickfergus Castle and Scrabo Tower will remain closed to the public.
Notes to editors:
- This announcement is made in conjunction with the Executive’s phased approach to easing of restrictions. The public is asked to follow the signs erected and the instructions of staff on site help ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable visit to HED sites and attractions.
- Media enquiries to Department for Communities Press Office at Press.email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries between 1800 hours and 0800 hours Monday to Fridays and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- £800,000 Access and Inclusion Programme launched 03 August 2020
- COVID-19 Service Updates 03 August 2020
- New appointments and reappointments to the Historic Buildings Council 31 July 2020
- Minister Ní Chuilín announces the start of £1.4m public realm scheme 30 July 2020