Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey recognised the achievements of the Women’s Senior Football team at a special reception held in their honour at Parliament
The team qualified for the UEFA 2022 Women’s Euro Championship, for the first time in its history.
Paying tribute to the hard work and dedication of the team’s players, management and coaching staff, the Minister said:
“Over the last few weeks I have held a series of events to mark an amazing season of success from our top athletes across a variety of sporting codes.
“I want to pay a special tribute to the Women’s Senior Football team for their performance on the international stage. It was a significant achievement to qualify for the UEFA 2022 Women’s Euro Championship for the first time.
“Seeing local players engaging with purpose and passion at the highest level of European football has been an inspiration. They have shown young people, that by getting involved, putting in the work, and believing in yourself, you can achieve your dreams.
“Increasing participation in women’s sport is a priority and I am delighted my department was able to contribute financial and practical support to the team in the run up to the Championship.
“The team has been on an incredible journey and I wish the players, management and coaches all the best in the future.
Notes to editors:
- In March 2022, the Minister allocated £100,000 funding to the Irish Football Association to help promote female sport through football.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Change in delivery of the Affordable Warmth Scheme 02 June 2023
- Competition to appoint a new Commissioner to the Board of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland 30 May 2023
- The re-appointment of two Members to the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) 19 May 2023
- Department consults on funding challenges 10 May 2023