Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has commended the positive impact of the completed public realm project in the Albert Street area of West Belfast.
Minister Hargey said:
"I am delighted to see the positive impact this project has had on the quality of daily life for local people and for those who travel in and out of Belfast along this busy route.
“Significant work has been undertaken to enhance the street-scape, creating an attractive pedestrian-friendly area with improved accessibility to the city centre.
"I am committed to support local communities and this is a further example of how my Department continues to improve neighbourhoods and demonstrates its commitment to making these areas more attractive and safer places to live, work, visit and invest.”
The Department for Communities allocated £1.5m to the Albert Street Public Realm Scheme which delivered significant physical regeneration improvements through the upgrading of the local street-scape at Albert Street, Cullingtree Road and St Peters Close.
Works included footpath resurfacing using a mixture of natural stone paving and asphalt, new kerbs, new street lighting columns, revitalisation of existing railings and fences, new safety bollards and railings and other speed reduction measures and table top ramps.
Notes to editors:
- Photo caption: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured with Project Manager Eddie Abraham from McAdam Design Ltd and Conor McConville, Project Manager at FP McCann, on a visit to the Albert Street area of West Belfast, where she viewed the recently completed public realm works worth £1.5m, funded through her Department.
- McAdam Design were the Consultants, appointed to design and project manage the delivery of the scheme.
- FP McCann were appointed to carry out the construction work for the scheme.
- Construction work commenced on 23 August 2021 and completed at the end of June 2022.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey announces £1m investment for Dungannon Neighbourhood Renewal Area 29 September 2022
- Hargey highlights concern over cost of living pressures on vulnerable 27 September 2022
- Hargey convenes Strategic Partnership Group to discuss issues in the University and Lower Ormeau area 26 September 2022
- Hargey announces wider support for Co-Ownership housing 21 September 2022