Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey visited Enniskillen today to announce funding of £470,000 for the Quay Lane North Environmental Improvement Scheme.
The scheme has been designed to meet both the needs of residents and visitors to the area and improve the environment and vitality of Enniskillen by regenerating key linkages into the town centre to improve connectivity.
The Department for Communities has provided £350,000 toward the scheme with a further £120,000 from Fermanagh and Omagh District Council.
Minister Hargey said:
“This investment is about providing a safe and secure place for local residents and visitors alike. The physical improvements not only improve the image of the area making it more welcoming and inviting but provide improved accessibility and connectivity to the town centre for all.
“My Department is committed to regenerating our towns and cities to make them more competitive. The ongoing Public Realm works in Enniskillen have changed the aesthetics of the town beyond all expectation. The Quay Lane Environmental Improvement scheme will address key linkages to provide a safe and accessible town centre. These projects have the potential to improve the competitiveness of Enniskillen, support the tourism potential and have communities which are inclusive and safe.”
The works will regenerate key access routes from the Quay Lane North Car Park to create a safe and accessible pedestrian link to the town centre via Belmore Street. The upgrade of the nearby Inis Ceithleann Island Park will have a positive impact on the town centre both economically and visually.
The Minister also had an opportunity to view the progress of the £5.5m Enniskillen public realm works throughout the town which is nearing completion.
Errol Thompson, Chair, Fermanagh and Omagh District Council said:
"Fermanagh and Omagh District Council is committed to working in partnership to improve the quality of life for all the people of the district and this approach has delivered tangible benefits making the district an attractive place to live, work, visit and invest.
“The Council has enjoyed an excellent working relationship with the Department for Communities and it is a partnership we look forward to continuing to develop into the future for the benefit of our businesses and the wider community.
“Unfortunately, there have been several incidents of anti-social behaviour in Quay Lane North which has had a particularly negative impact on those residents living in the vicinity. A proactive interagency approach resulted in a funding bid to the Department for Communities which has been successful and this will see a total investment of almost £500,000 in the area.
“I am confident that as well as reducing the potential for anti-social behaviour, this work will enhance the connectivity between New Street and Belmore Street and will greatly improve the aesthetics of the entire area."
Notes to editors:
- Photo caption: On a visit to Enniskillen Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey today announced funding of £470,000 to the Quay Lane North Environmental Scheme which will be delivered in partnership with Fermanagh and Omagh District Council. The scheme will improve key access routes to the town centre in particular creating a safe and accessible pedestrian access for all. The Minister is pictured with Errol Thompson, Chair, Fermanagh and Omagh District Council.
- The scheme was approved in January 2022 and works are due to be completed in July 2022.
- Press enquiries to DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Appointment of Independent Chair of the review of the roles and responsibilities of councillors in Northern Ireland 05 December 2023
- PRONI to host evening of song and celebration 05 December 2023
- Event to celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPWD) 2023 24 November 2023
- Village Catalyst breathes new life into Ederney 17 November 2023