Antrim Street and Lancasterian Street at the centre of Carrickfergus have benefitted from a £660,000 makeover with the completion of a high quality public realm project.
The £660,000 initiative, which was funded by the Department for Communities (DfC) and Mid & East Antrim Borough Council, has improved the area by installing new footways, lighting and street furniture.
While visiting Carrickfergus, Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey MLA said: “It’s wonderful to see the quality of the new public realm along Antrim Street and Lancasterian Street. This is the latest public realm project my Department has delivered in the town and it is evident that creating modern and improved spaces is an essential element for regeneration. Local people and visitors to Carrickfergus will be able to enjoy this welcoming space as they shop and enjoy their time in this historic town.”
Mid and East Antrim Mayor, Cllr Maureen Morrow said: “I am delighted to see the results of the public realm scheme in Carrickfergus. One of Council’s key strategic commitments is to develop Carrickfergus as a world class heritage site and a must-visit destination for tourists around the world. The town has been given a much welcome facelift with new footways, lighting and street furniture, features which will all add to the experience of residents, businesses and visitors alike when they come to Carrickfergus.”
The work was also delivered in partnership with the Department for Infrastructure. Along with new trees and seating areas at the front of the Museum and Civic Centre, the roadway was also resurfaced and a dedicated taxi drop off bay installed on Antrim Street.
Notes to editors:
1. Photo caption: Pictured at new seating outside the Museum and Civic Centre are Mayor Maureen Morrow (L) and Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey (R)
2. The Department for Communities contributed approximately £600,000 and Mid & East Antrim Borough Council contributed approximately £60,000 to deliver the schemes.
3. Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 90 823516 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 90378110.
4. Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI.
- Minister highlights role of mediation in resolving housing disputes 09 July 2020
- Dates for Return to Competitive Sport and Indoor Sport announced 09 July 2020
- Communities Minister pays tribute to her front-line social security staff 08 July 2020
- Minister introduces further measures to protect the most vulnerable 07 July 2020