This is done by encouraging investment in property to improve:
- The economy (by assisting the expansion of local businesses and the creation of jobs); and
- The environment (by the improvement of the appearance of new buildings on derelict sites).
The key objectives of the UDG scheme are:
- To act as an enabler – where necessary – for private investment;
- To create and/or retain permanent jobs in town/city centres and disadvantaged urban areas; and
- To improve the environment of town/city centres and disadvantaged urban areas by improvements to the physical fabric.
Types of project supported
A range of physical development projects may attract UDG including:
- light industrial
How to apply for funding
Presently, there are no Urban Development Grant schemes open for application.
You can apply for an Urban Development Grant by downloading and completing an Urban Development Grant application form. You can also ask the Regional Development Office for a hard copy. Please read the Urban Development Grant application pack before completing the application form.
You will need to provide the following information:
- the nature of the project;
- cost details;
- employment implications;
- timescale for the project;
- nature of assistance required;
- type of economic activity for which the building will be used;
- the development experience of the applicant;
- other potential sources of funding;
- overall project benefits.
Please read the application form carefully before completing and submitting an application.
State aid/subsidy control
From 1 January 2021, all subsidies provided by public authorities in Northern Ireland must comply with either the EU State aid rules or the subsidy control chapter of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement and any other international subsidy commitments.
This grant will therefore be paid either on the basis that it complies with all the terms and conditions of Commission Regulation (EU) No 651/2014 (General Block Exemption Regulation), including the limits set out in Articles 14 and 56 thereof, or that it complies with the subsidy control chapter of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement and any other international subsidy commitments.
More information is provided in the Urban Development Grant application packs.
You can get additional information and hard copies of the forms from our Regional Development Offices;