About housing regulation
The Department operates its statutory regulatory function under Article 4 (1) (c) of The Housing (Northern Ireland) Order 1992.
The Housing Regulation Branch undertakes regulation activity on behalf of the Department. Our vision is to deliver a modern, tailored, proportionate and cost effective regulatory process which protects the interests of our tenants. We do this by setting high level, outcome focussed standards which RHA Boards are responsible for ensuring compliance with. Our key functions are to:
- Monitor, assess and report on the performance of RHAs in relation to housing activities;
- Monitor their financial well-being and standards of governance and, where appropriate, increase our engagement with them to achieve our objectives.
- To create through regulation a Social Housing sector that is viable, efficient, well governed and able to deliver homes to meet a range of needs.
- To ensure social housing tenants are protected and are provided opportunities to be involved with their RHA.
*RHAs are referred to as Registered Housing Associations in The Housing (Northern Ireland) Order 1992
Housing Regulation Branch
Department for Communities
1-7 Bedford Street
Telephone: 028 9082 3109
Registered housing associations
There are currently 20 RHAs in Northern Ireland.
Additional information is provided on each RHA by individually selecting them below:
- Abbeyfield and Wesley Housing Association
- Alpha Housing Association
- Apex Housing Association
- Ark Housing Association
- Choice Housing Association
- Clanmil Housing Association
- Connswater Homes Housing Association
- Craigowen Housing Association
- Covenanter Housing Association
- Grove Community Housing Association
- Habinteg Housing Association
- Newington Housing Association
- Northern Ireland Co-ownership Housing Association
- North Belfast Housing Association
- Radius Housing Association
- Rural Housing Association
- South Ulster Housing Association
- St Matthews Housing Association
- Triangle Housing Association
- Woodvale and Shankill Community Housing Association
Housing regulation reports
For more information please see our Housing Regulation Advice Notes.
View the Tenant Participation Strategy 2015-2020.
View the Finance tables which provide supporting documentation.
Access to information
Accuracy of information
Our Regulatory Judgements and level of regulatory engagements have been decided from the information supplied to us as part of the Regulatory Framework annual assessment.
We rely on the information supplied by the Registered Housing Association being accurate and complete. We do not accept liability if this is not the case. Also liability will not be accepted by us for actions arising from a third party’s use of the information or views contained in these reports.