About Housing Regulation
The Department operates its statutory regulatory function under Article 4 (1) (c) of The Housing (Northern Ireland) Order 1992.
The Housing Regulation Branch undertakes Regulation activity on behalf of the Department. Our vision is to deliver a modern, tailored, proportionate and cost effective regulatory process which protects the interests of our tenants. We do this by setting high level, outcome focussed standards which RHA Boards are responsible for ensuring compliance with. Our key functions are to:
- Monitor, assess and report on the performance of RHAs in relation to housing activities;
- Monitor their financial well-being and standards of governance and, where appropriate, increase our engagement with them to achieve our objectives.
- To create through regulation a Social Housing sector that is viable, efficient, well governed and able to deliver homes to meet a range of needs.
- To ensure social housing tenants are protected and are provided opportunities to be involved with their RHA.
*RHAs are referred to as Registered Housing Associations in The Housing (Northern Ireland) Order 1992
Housing Regulation Branch
Department for Communities
1 Cromac Place
Telephone: 028 9082 9037
For more information please see our Housing Regulation Advice Notes:
- Advice Note – How We regulate - An overview of our Regulatory standards – Consumer / Finance / Governance
- Advice Note – Regulatory Judgement
More to follow...
View the Finance tables which provide supporting documentation