Our historic environment is the product of past generations. The information about these heritage assets helps us to understand them, make decisions and plan for the future.
HERoNI holds significant collections and information relating to all aspects of our historic environment including:
- Archaeological sites and monuments
- Historic buildings including listed buildings
- Historic designed landscapes
- Industrial heritage
- Defence heritage
- Maritime and marine heritage
- Agricultural and sporting heritage
- Battlefield sites to name but a few
Whether you are working, studying or simply want to find out more about your local heritage, HERoNI can help.
It's information supplements the three main electronic databases published;
- The Historic Environment Map Viewer
- The Northern Ireland Sites and Monuments Record
- The Northern Ireland Buildings Database
Also included within the Record is a detailed archive of;
Further information on HERoNI is available:
Historic Environment Record of Northern Ireland
Klondyke Building (NIEA)
Gasworks Business Park
Belfast, BT7 2JA
A public search room is currently offering a limited service.
Monday to Friday
9.30am - 1pm; and
2pm - 4.30pm (by appointment)
Please contact us before visiting for advice on availability of archives.
Requests for information can also be submitted in writing, by email or phone.
Conditions of entry
Visitors attending HERoNI are asked to note that;
- all visitors must sign in at the start of each visit and will be issued with a visitor pass which must be worn at all times
- many documents available for consultation are unique and irreplaceable and should be handled with care
- the use of pens in the HERoNI is not permitted
- visitors wishing to use laptop personal computers are advised to consult HERoNI staff beforehand
- smoking, food and drink are not permitted on site
Copyright, photographic reproductions and photocopying
The Department holds copyright on much of the material in the HERoNI, under delegation from Her Majesty's Stationery Office, and specific written authority must be sought to reproduce, publish or exhibit it.
Copyright fees are usually levied, but may be waived if the material is to be used for educational or non-profit making purposes.
Copies of photographs, transparencies, drawings or text can be supplied on request subject to copyright restrictions. Request forms, copyright forms and information on costs are available from HERoNI staff.
Standards of service
HERoNI aims to provide;
- free access to data and collections via the HERoNI search room
- a response within 15 working days from receiving a request for information, or notification if a full response will take longer
- the dispatch of photographic prints, photocopies, etc within 15 working days
HERoNI staff aim to be professional and courteous at all times. If you are unhappy with any aspect of our service, speak to the person you have been dealing with. If you are still dissatisfied, please write to the HERoNI Manager at the address above.
Every effort is made to provide comprehensive information, but as the HERoNI is an evolving resource the material held in it is in varying stages of completeness and accessibility. We are working towards placing as much material as possible online, as it becomes available.
Further information is available about the responsibilities of the Department with regard to HERoNI's upkeep, the legislation and regional policies relating to it and the requirement to maintain the record.
Access to HERoNI is free, however search fees may be charged for handling detailed or lengthy enquiries or those undertaken for commercial purposes.