The Department for Communities has held a welfare mitigations information session at the Northern Ireland Council for Voluntary Action in Belfast.
Representatives from the voluntary and community sector and other stakeholders attended the session.
The Department published a Review of the Mitigation Schemes at the end of March 2019. The information session provided on overview of that Review and the challenges likely to arise from the termination of the welfare mitigation package.
As part of the Fresh Start Agreement, the Executive allocated around five hundred million pounds to ‘top-up’ the UK welfare arrangements in Northern Ireland. The mitigation package is due to conclude on 31 March 2020.
The session was an opportunity for stakeholders to present their views to the Department on the future of the welfare mitigation package. The responses will contribute to the department’s analysis of mitigations and ensure that appropriate advice on the possible future delivery of the current schemes is available for an incoming Minister
Notes to editors:
- The mitigation measures introduced in Northern Ireland primarily provide for payments to claimants who experience a loss of benefit following the introduction of certain welfare reforms. However, it also includes funding allocations for Discretionary Support, Universal Credit payment flexibilities and the independent advice sector.
- The Department’s mitigation review is available on communities-ni.gov.uk.
- The department is hosting a number of information sessions in Newry, Derry/Londonderry, Belfast and Enniskillen.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3502 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 90378110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter
- Hargey announces Neighbourhood Renewal funding protected until 2022 28 February 2020
- Completion of new roof at Carrickfergus Castle a towering success 26 February 2020
- Extension of appointment to the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive 24 February 2020
- Young ambassadors empowered to deliver change in their community 19 February 2020