Communities Minster Paul Givan MLA, has congratulated National Museums Northern Ireland (NMNI) and the Belfast International Arts Festival on their success in winning the bid to host the iconic Poppies ‘Weeping Window’.
The Ulster Museum will present ‘Weeping Window’ by artist Paul Cummins and designer Tom Piper as part of 14-18 NOW’S UK wide tour of the iconic poppies between 14 October and 3 December 2017. This is part of a series of presentations of the sculpture at different locations around the UK from 2015 to 2018. The installation was originally at HM Tower of London in the autumn of 2014. ‘Weeping Window’ is the cascade of poppies that pours from a window or other point high above the ground.
Minister Givan said: “I am delighted to learn of the success of the bid by National Museums Northern Ireland and Belfast International Arts Festival to host the ‘Weeping Window’ Poppy sculpture as part of the 14-18 NOW tour.
“This iconic piece of art which is a breathtaking cascade of several thousand handmade ceramic poppies, is a first for Northern Ireland and presents a fantastic opportunity to showcase what is a powerful and moving sculpture and a deserving tribute to those who suffered from the loss of loved ones a hundred years ago. I very much look forward to visiting the Poppy sculpture when it is in place next year.”
Notes to editors:
- ‘Weeping Window’ is the cascade of poppies that pours from a window or other point high above the ground.
- The siting of the art installation within Botanic Gardens will permit the public to view the ‘Weeping Window’ at close range. It will emerge from the top window of the façade of the Ulster Museum, which is the Discover Art space.
- Further information about the announcement can be found at the 1418 Now website
- The Weeping Window installation will be free to view by the public.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- For media enquiries please contact the DfC Press Office on 028 90 823504 or mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number on 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- Extension of appointments to the Local Government Staff Commission for Northern Ireland (LGSCNI) 26 May 2017
- Steps 2 Success Statistical Bulletin (October 2014 to March 2017) is published 25 May 2017
- Antrim woman convicted of benefit fraud at Antrim Court 25 May 2017
- Ballymena woman convicted of benefit fraud at Ballymena Magistrates Court 24 May 2017