Communities Minister Carál Ní Chuilín has announced an extension to the term of the Executive’s Child Poverty Strategy 2016 -2019 to May 2022.
The term of the last Child Poverty Strategy expired in March 2019. Due to the absence of the devolved institutions, it was not possible to produce a new strategy at that time.
“New Decade, New Approach” states that “the Programme for Government could be underpinned by key supporting strategies” including an Anti-Poverty Strategy and a Child Poverty Strategy.
Minister Ní Chuilín considers that there may be scope to take child poverty forward within the wider anti-poverty strategy and has agreed to extend the child poverty strategy 2016-2019 to May 2022.
Making the announcement, the Minister said,
“Child Poverty continues to be a major concern and helping those most vulnerable and in need remains a priority. Child Poverty does not just affect a young person’s childhood, it can also have a major impact on their future.”
“This extended term will allow time for key stakeholders to be consulted on whether the anti-poverty strategy, which will include all age groups, is sufficient or whether in addition the development of a child poverty strategy is required.”
Concluding the Minister said,
“I will work closely with my Executive colleagues and key stakeholders to decide the best way forward in relation to dealing with this extremely important issue.”
Notes to editors:
- The Executive’s Child Poverty Strategy, published in March 2016, sets out the vision to eradicate child poverty in the future www.communities-ni.gov.uk/publications/child-poverty-strategy
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on @CommunitiesNI
- Appointment of Independent Chair of the review of the roles and responsibilities of councillors in Northern Ireland 05 December 2023
- PRONI to host evening of song and celebration 05 December 2023
- Event to celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPWD) 2023 24 November 2023
- Village Catalyst breathes new life into Ederney 17 November 2023