A Bill to protect tenants living in the private rented sector has been finalized today by Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey.
The Private Tenancies Bill increases protections for tenants in areas such as rent increases, safety checks, notice to quit periods and deposits, and lays the groundwork for further improvements in energy efficiency.
Minister Hargey said:
“Protecting tenants is a priority for me.
“I have consistently stated my determination to ensure all rents are fair and tenants are protected in their homes. I will ensure we build further on the rent controls already secured. This Bill will deliver important protections with more reform to come.
“Everyone’s home should be safe. Electrical safety checks and fire and carbon monoxide detectors, are basic safety requirements which have long been overdue.
“The Bill will provide enhanced protections for tenants when it comes to evictions."
The Minister also set out her ambitions for future reform in the sector on energy efficiency, fair rents, eviction rules and fitness standards.
Minister Hargey continued:
“I have been clear that this Bill is the beginning of private rented sector reform. I have laid the foundations and further work is a priority for the department.
The Minister concluded: “This Bill will improve the standard of accommodation and the quality of life for those who have their homes in this sector.”
Notes to editors:
- The Bill and associated documentation is available on the NI Assembly website: Private Tenancies Bill
- The Bill will now go for Royal Assent at which point it will become law. Some elements of the Bill will require Regulations to be made to come into effect.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Applications open for the All-Ireland Heritage Skills Programme 06 May 2022
- Competition to appoint the Chair to the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive. 07 April 2022
- Hargey announces establishment of Child Funeral Fund 27 March 2022
- Schools benefit from £1.37m funding – Hargey 25 March 2022