The Department for Communities is asking landlords to check their registration certificate for the Landlord Registration Scheme as it may have expired.
Registration lasts for three years so landlords who registered three years ago or more need to renew their registration if they are still renting out a property. By not renewing their registration landlords are not complying with the law.
The Landlord Registration Scheme collects and maintains accurate information on landlords and their properties. It aims to improve tenants’ confidence in their landlords and increase landlord accountability by promoting good practice and ensuring appropriate advice and assistance is available. By law, all private landlords in Northern Ireland must register with the Landlord Registration Scheme.
If a landlord finds that their registration has already expired or are within eight weeks of the expiry date they should renew their registration now.
Landlords who fail to renew a registration while continuing to rent out properties risk being issued with a fixed penalty of up to £500 or if taken to court can be fined up to £2,500.
More information on the Landlord Registration Scheme including how to register and renew your registration is available.
Notes to editors:
- A message will be sent to the email address provided by the landlord eight weeks prior to the end of the current registration. The landlord needs to check their spam folder in case this email is not delivered to the inbox and ensure their contact information is correct and up-to-date on the Landlord Registration Scheme. Landlords can also renew their registration by telephone on 0300 200 7821, and should have full details of any joint owners to hand when making the call
- You pay one fee to register regardless of how many properties you own. The online registration fee is £70.00. The paper registration fee is £80.00
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3505 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Two convicted at Belfast Magistrates’ Court of benefit fraud 17 April 2018
- Benefit fraud weekly review 17 April 2018
- Londonderry man convicted of benefit fraud 13 April 2018
- Suspended Sentence for £13,000 benefit fraud 13 April 2018