Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced that she is extending legislation to protect private renters from eviction to 4 May 2022.
Introduced at the start of the pandemic the Private Tenancies (Coronavirus Modifications) Act requires landlords to give tenants a 12 week notice to quit period before seeking a court order to begin proceedings to evict.
The legislation was due to expire on 30 September and after a review, the Minister has taken the decision that it should be extended further until 4 May 2022 to protect renters in the private rented sector.
Minister Hargey said:
“I have considered very carefully the balance between landlords’ interests as property owners and the protection of those in need during this pandemic to ensure people are not facing eviction in this challenging time.
“Whilst it is clear that the overall situation is greatly improved from the beginning of the pandemic, there is still some way to go. I’m mindful of the economic disruption which may emerge as other protections unwind.
“As ever, I would encourage landlords and tenants to continue to work together during this period to avoid the need for commencing or pursuing possession proceedings in what remains a difficult time.”
This emergency legislation was introduced in response to the pandemic. More generally, the Minister has recently introduced a Private Tenancies Bill in to the Assembly. The Minister intends that this new Bill will deliver a number of protections for private renters including a permanent extension to the Notice to Quit period.
Notes to editors:
- The Private Tenancies (Coronavirus Modifications) Act (NI) 2020 was enacted on 5 May 2020 and imposed on landlords the requirement to provide tenants in the Private Rented Sector (PRS) with a 12 weeks’ Notice To Quit (NTQ) period.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey: I am determined that my department will continue to deliver for all for those who are in need 19 May 2022
- Applications open for the All-Ireland Heritage Skills Programme 06 May 2022
- Competition to appoint the Chair to the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive. 07 April 2022
- Hargey announces establishment of Child Funeral Fund 27 March 2022