Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has said that threats made against a Housing Executive contractor carrying out important work across the Rathcoole area are simply unacceptable.
The Minister said:
"I whole heartedly condemn this sectarian intimidation. The contractor was not only carrying out work on a tower block due for demolition but were also carrying out both health and safety and response maintenance work for Housing Executive tenants in the Rathcoole area.
“The withdrawal of the contractor from this area means that these tenants have to wait for the work required on their properties, some of which could be urgent work.
"I would like to express my concern for the Housing Executive employees and contractors in this area who are day and daily looking after the wellbeing of potentially the most vulnerable tenants in the area.
"I want the workers to be able to resume work free from this intimidation as soon as possible. This sectarian intimidation needs to stop now."
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- DfC to host cost-of-living information event at Coleraine Town Hall 27 January 2023
- DfC to host cost-of-living information event in West Belfast 23 January 2023
- Extension of appointments to the Board of Libraries NI 19 January 2023
- Líofa Gaeltacht Bursary Scheme opens for 2023 17 January 2023