Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has said that threats made against a Housing Executive contractor carrying out important work across the Rathcoole area are simply unacceptable.
The Minister said:
"I whole heartedly condemn this sectarian intimidation. The contractor was not only carrying out work on a tower block due for demolition but were also carrying out both health and safety and response maintenance work for Housing Executive tenants in the Rathcoole area.
“The withdrawal of the contractor from this area means that these tenants have to wait for the work required on their properties, some of which could be urgent work.
"I would like to express my concern for the Housing Executive employees and contractors in this area who are day and daily looking after the wellbeing of potentially the most vulnerable tenants in the area.
"I want the workers to be able to resume work free from this intimidation as soon as possible. This sectarian intimidation needs to stop now."
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey visits Omagh to view recent regeneration projects 16 August 2022
- Hargey thanks outgoing Discretionary Support Commissioner 15 August 2022
- Minister urges people to ‘Make the Call’ as cost of living crisis deepens 12 August 2022
- Minister Hargey views improvements to Lanark Way junction, Belfast 11 August 2022