Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has appointed an advisory panel on Community Wealth Building to support local economic recovery.
Community Wealth Building is a model of local economic development that tackles inequality and poverty by redirecting wealth and public spending into communities. It works through changes to public sector investment and spending practices and greater collaboration with the community.
The Minister’s advisory panel will bring together local community business leaders with international experts from the Democracy Collaborative in the US. The panel also includes leading Queen’s University academic Dr Brendan Murtagh and will be supported in its work by Trademark NI and the Development Trusts NI.
The Minister said: “I believe we need a new economic model that gives more power to local communities, more collective ownership and more just and fair labour markets.
“The advisory panel I have appointed will play a key role in identifying opportunities to grow and scale community wealth building and in supporting my Department to drive this work forward. I recognise this is a very ambitious agenda and will, in the longer term, require commitment from key players across the public sector and beyond.”
The panel will begin its work immediately and is expected to report in the autumn.
Notes to editors:
- The Community Wealth Building Advisory Panel members are:
- Harry Connolly - Fáilte Feirste Thiar
- Dr Brendan Murtagh – Queen’s University Belfast
- David Hunter – Access Employment Limited
- Sarah McKinley –The Democracy Collaborative
- Joe Guinan – The Democracy Collaborative
2. Media enquiries to DFC Press Office via email
3. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
4. Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Event to celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPWD) 2023 24 November 2023
- Village Catalyst breathes new life into Ederney 17 November 2023
- Historic documents to be put on display as part of a regional tour of local libraries by PRONI 14 November 2023
- Public appointment opportunity: Appointment of members to the Northern Ireland Central Investment Fund for Charities Advisory Committee 10 November 2023