Social housing tenants who are financially impacted by Covid-19 will not face eviction if they are in rent arrears because of the pandemic, Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced.
A voluntary agreement was put in place at start of the pandemic between the Department for Communities, Housing Executive and Housing Associations.
Minister Hargey said:
“I wish to offer my thanks to the Housing Executive and Housing Associations for their ongoing support for the “no eviction” agreement, which was agreed at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. I want to reassure our social tenants that they will not face losing their home as a result of Covid-19-related arrears.
“Whilst my hope is that we are making progress on the road to recovery, I know that the pandemic continues to create very challenging circumstances. For this reason, I believe it is premature to end the ‘no eviction’ agreement for Covid-19 related arrears at this time. I have asked the Housing Executive and Housing Associations to continue to honour this voluntary agreement until May 2022, in line with my recent decision to extend the emergency 12 week Notice to Quit period in the private rented sector.”
Following the Minister’s recent decision to extend the emergency arrangements relating to the protection of tenants in the private rented sector, Minister Hargey wrote to social landlords to ask that the “no eviction” agreement for Covid-19 related arrears currently in place within the social housing sector continues to the same date - 4 May 2022.
There is always a responsibility on tenants to continue to pay their rent and if tenants are experiencing difficulties with arrears, for any reason, they should always speak with their landlord at the earliest opportunity.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on email to Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Over a million pounds available for investment in Built Heritage 20 May 2022
- Hargey: I am determined that my department will continue to deliver for all those who are in need 19 May 2022
- Applications open for the All-Ireland Heritage Skills Programme 06 May 2022
- Competition to appoint the Chair to the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive. 07 April 2022