Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey MLA has welcomed the completion of public realm improvements to key streets in Portadown and Lurgan.
The works were funded with £100,000 from the Department for Communities and £50,000 from Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council (ABC Council).
Due to the recent removal of security barriers on Edward Street in Portadown, the public realm improvement works were able to reach the extended busy street for the first time. Enhancing its appearance, improvements included newly resurfaced footways, new street lighting and new planters.
Meanwhile in Lurgan, Church Walk and Wellington Street received a boost, with resurfaced footways, new planters and a new boundary fence around the car park.
Welcoming the completion of the works, Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey said:
“I am pleased my Department has been able to fund further public realm improvements in Portadown and Lurgan. These types of works are about improving the appearance of our town centres so they are more welcoming and pleasing for all concerned. The investment shows my Department’s commitment to our town centres and contribute to their vibrancy.”
Lord Mayor of Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough, Councillor Mealla Campbell commented:
“Council is delighted to once again partner with Department for Communities to deliver a series of improvements in Portadown and Lurgan, highlighting our joint commitment to investing and delivering real change in the area and beyond. With these enhancements, the town centres will be better placed to maximise their potential and attract visitors and investment in the long term.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on 028 9082 3516 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey pays tribute to the homelessness sector 06 April 2020
- Housing Executive rent increase put on hold due to Covid-19 06 April 2020
- COVID-19 Service Updates 06 April 2020
- Hargey Announces Thousands to Benefit from Food Parcels Service 05 April 2020