The Department for Communities has welcomed planning approval for an events space at West Bay, Portrush that can also be used for temporary parking.
The project is set to receive £117,000 as part of the Department’s £17m Portrush Regeneration Programme, and will complement other work being done in the town prior to the 148th Open in July.
The work, which will be getting underway shortly, will involve filling in one of two run-down sunken seating areas to create a useable grass-covered events space that can also be used for temporary parking. The other seating area will be completely refurbished as part of the scheme and provide a place to sit and relax whilst enjoying the views of West Bay.
The project was approved at a Causeway Coast & Glens Borough Council Planning Committee meeting on Monday 1 April 2019.
Mark O’Donnell from the Department for Communities said: “This investment will help create a large events space that will also be used for temporary parking during the 148th Open and if necessary during other major events. The improvements at West Bay will also provide a lasting legacy for Portrush and is the latest example of the ongoing collaboration between the Department for Communities and Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council in delivering the £17m Portrush Regeneration Programme.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department for Communities obtained endorsement from the last Executive for a Portrush Regeneration Programme in December 2016 and funding of £17m was secured.
- The Programme consists of a number of key projects including a new train station, public realm works, an Urban Development Grant Scheme and a Revitalise Scheme.
- The £17m includes funding for parking solutions, and this project provides both a temporary parking facility and an events space.
- The main aspects of the Portrush Regeneration Programme are planned for delivery before The 148th Open comes to the town in July 2019.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3505 or email email@example.com . Out of hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 90378110.
- Belfast woman convicted for £6,000 benefit fraud 17 September 2019
- Belfast woman convicted for £2,000 benefit fraud 17 September 2019
- Opening of new community health building for Strabane 17 September 2019
- Benefit fraud weekly review 17 September 2019