The effects of the cost of living crisis are being felt everywhere including the frontline of need where our community and voluntary groups operate, Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has said.
Visiting Women’s Aid in Newry today as part of a series of discussions with community groups on the cost of living crisis, the Minister said:
“The work of organisations like Women’s Aid Armagh Down in supporting women is vital and must be protected.
“The current situation is uncertain for all concerned. The absence of a functioning Executive and no budget in place makes the challenge of dealing with these issues all the greater, but my team will continue to work with all our stakeholders to ensure that providers are supported as much as possible moving forward.”
Minister Hargey, whose Department funds housing-related support run by Women’s Aid Armagh Down, acknowledged the vital service it provides to extremely vulnerable women and pledged her continuing support as the crisis continues to escalate.
The Department for Communities’ Supporting People programme grant funds approximately £550k per year to Women’s Aid Armagh Down to provide housing related support through Lyne Lodge, short-term accommodation-based refuge provision and through a short-term Floating Support service for women who choose to remain at home or in a community setting.
Notes to editors:
- Women’s Aid Armagh Down receive grant funding from the Supporting People programme of approximately £550,000 per year. £220,000 of this funding is allocated to Lyne Lodge, Newry which provides 11 units of emergency refuge accommodation to women and children experiencing violence and abuse in their own homes or in the community. £330,000 covers 190 units of floating support services in Newry, Mourne & Down, Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon. The Floating Support service helps women with special and complex needs, specific to their domestic abuse situation, to maintain and sustain their home.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Department launches recruitment competition for new Discretionary Support Commissioner 20 June 2022
- Hargey urges people to ‘Make the Call’ to maximise benefit support 17 June 2022
- 16 June 2022
- Hargey confirms cost-of-living payments 15 June 2022