Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey will today take a Bill to modernise liquor licensing here through the next stage in the legislative process.
The Assembly will have an opportunity to vote on amendments to The Licensing and Registration of Clubs (Amendment) Bill, which was introduced to it on 19 October last year. There will then only be two more Assembly stages left in the legislative process before these important and long awaited changes are finalised.
Minister Hargey said:
“The reform of licensing is a priority for this Executive under the New Decade, New Approach Deal and I am pleased to see modernisation is within reach.
“I want to thank Executive, Committee and Assembly colleagues for their work in getting this important Bill to this stage. The Bill contains a balanced package of reforms. While supporting the hospitality industry, it is my duty to also be mindful of the negative impact that the harmful consumption of alcohol can cause, to individuals and to whole communities. This Bill therefore also includes the relevant safeguards to ensure that people are protected from alcohol-related harms.
“I look forward to taking this Bill through its Consideration Stage today and next stages in the coming weeks and to deliver on this much anticipated reform.”
More detail on the Bill, including the list of proposed amendments, is available at NI Assembly
Notes to editors:
- The next stage of the Bill is its Further Consideration Stage in the Assembly on 21 June 2021. Following this, the Bill will have a Final Stage before receiving Royal Assent. It is expected the majority of the provisions in the Bill when finalised will become law in October this year, with some requiring a longer lead in time.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey launches Queen’s Quay development consultation 29 November 2021
- Hargey launches award scheme which promotes use of Irish language 25 November 2021
- Seolann Hargey scéim dhuaise a chuireann úsáid na Gaeilge chun cinn 25 November 2021
- Minister Hargey officially opens new community park and sports zone at Westlink Back Path in Belfast 24 November 2021