Northern Ireland Family Resource Survey
This series provides annual summaries of the key findings from the Northern Ireland Family Resources Survey. The reports include information on income (and sources of income), housing tenure, caring needs and responsibilities, disability, pension participation, occupation, employment, savings and investments.
The next edition of the Family Resources Survey for Northern Ireland, covering the survey year of 2018/19 is due to be released in Summer/Autumn 2020.
- Family Resources Survey report 2017 - 2018
- Family Resource Survey report 2016 - 2017
- Family Resource Survey report 2015 - 2016
- Family Resource Survey report 2014 - 2015
Northern Ireland poverty bulletin
The Northern Ireland poverty bulletin uses data collected from the Family Resources Survey to provide estimates of the proportion and number of children, working age adults and pensioners living in low income households in Northern Ireland.
The bulletin uses household disposable incomes, adjusted for household size and composition, as a proxy for material living standards, or more precisely for the level of consumption of goods and services that people could attain given the disposable income of the household in which they live.
- Northern Ireland Poverty Bulletin 2017 - 2018
- Northern Ireland poverty bulletin 2016 - 2017
- Northern Ireland poverty bulletin 2015 - 2016
- Northern Ireland poverty bulletin 2014 - 2015
Northern Ireland households below average income
The Households below average income (HBAI report) for Northern Ireland publication uses data collected in the Family Resources Survey (FRS) with a focus on income and living standards. The statistics and commentary give an insight into the standard of living of the household population in Northern Ireland.
The HBAI uses household disposable incomes, adjusted for household size and composition, as a proxy for material living standards, or more precisely for the level of consumption of goods and services that people could attain given the disposable income of the household in which they live.
The next edition of the Households below average income (HBAI report) for Northern Ireland is due to be released in early summer 2020.
- Households below average income 2017 - 2018
- Households below average income 2016 - 2017
- Households below average income 2015 - 2016
Family Resources Survey urban rural report - Northern Ireland
The urban rural report for Northern Ireland provides information on incomes and circumstances of households in Northern Ireland, focusing on urban rural differences. The Family Resources Survey is the main data source for urban rural analysis.
Changes to Urban Rural Classifications
In 2015 the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency carried out a Review of the Statistical Classification and Delineation of Settlements. The outworkings of this review has lead to a change in the Urban Rural classifications used in the Family Resources Survey urban rural report for Northern Ireland. The following statistical note provides details on the changes.
The Family Resources Survey urban rural report Northern Ireland 2014/15 was released on 22 March 2017
Pensioners' income series - Northern Ireland
This series contains estimates of the level and trends of pensioners' incomes in Northern Ireland based on the Family Resources Survey, Northern Ireland.
The Northern Ireland pensioners' incomes series bulletin 2014/15 was released on 22 February 2017.
- Pensioners' income series - Northern Ireland 2014 - 2015
- Pensioners' income series - Northern Ireland 2013 - 2014
Following public consultation in 2009 the following two publications were discontinued:
- Individual income series - Northern Ireland - Information on weekly incomes of men and women in Northern Ireland by family type, source of income, age, marital status and employment status
- Income related benefits, estimates of take-Up - Northern Ireland -Information on the take-up of the main income-related benefits in Northern Ireland: Income Support, Minimum Income Guarantee/Pension Credit, Housing Benefit and Jobseeker's Allowance (Income-Based)
Historic publications are available on request by contacting the Professional Services Unit.
Family Resources Survey grossing review 2014
In 2014 a grossing review was carried out to all Family Resources Survey and households below average income datasets to incorporate the 2011 census information that became available. The following statistical note provides a summary of this review and the subsequent effect on the back series datasets:
Family Resources Survey/households below average income user group
Regular engagement with users enhances the value of the Northern Ireland Family Resources Survey. A FRS/HBAI User Group was set up to meet biannually to facilitate user engagement. Membership of the user group consists of representatives from each funding body, providers of the survey and external users from a range of sectors.
The survey contains information which will be of interest to researchers and analysts from a wide range of disciplines in both the public and private sectors. The database can be accessed through the UK Data Service.
Published and upcoming reports produced by PSU using NI FRS are also listed on GOV.UK. They can be found here:
You can also view the United Kingdom/ Great Britain reports:
- Family Resources Survey
- Households below average income
- Pensioners' income series
- Estimates of take-Up