The Department for Communities and the Department for Infrastructure have marked the completion of improvement works to St Columb’s Road in Derry/Londonderry.
As well as upgrading the road, the improvements complement wider developments in the area, including St Columb’s Park and the Ebrington site.
The Department for Communities funded this £420,000 project through a technical transfer to the Department for Infrastructure.
Pauline Campbell for the Department for Communities said: “The Department is committed to the development of cities, towns and villages across Northern Ireland through initiatives which promote urban renewal and develop public spaces. We do this in collaboration with a range of partners and stakeholders, and in conjunction with the local community.
“In the case of St Columb’s Road, this key project provides improved accessibility and connectivity between Limavady Road, St Columb’s Park and to the main arterial route with Ebrington Development Complex. In doing so, it opens up these spaces, while enhancing not just the locality and the Waterside area but the wider city as well.”
Divisional Roads Manager Daniel Healy said: “The Department for Infrastructure has worked closely with the Department for Communities and our contractors on this important scheme which will deliver significant benefits to the area.
“The opening of the new road, which includes carriageway resurfacing, a paving upgrade and enhanced street lighting, is great news for the local community and will play a vital part in the ongoing regeneration of the area.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office: Press.Office@communities-ni.gov.uk
- Follow us on Twitter - @CommunitiesNI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press office can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Department for Communities celebrates success of Special Olympics Ulster athletes at World Summer Games 21 September 2023
- Competition to appoint Members and Expert Advisors to the Ministerial Advisory Group (MAG) and the Built Environment NI 21 September 2023
- Closure of Boiler Replacement Scheme 21 September 2023
- Department for Communities commits to more investment in Warrenpoint Front Shore 21 September 2023