Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced that works are now underway to transform a derelict area of the Ravenhill Road in to a public garden
The £210,000 public realm scheme, funded by the Department for Communities, will include the demolition and removal of the existing derelict public toilet block and the redesign of the unused and inaccessible open space in to a safe welcoming area for local residents and the general public.
Improvement works will include new landscaping, new paving, street furniture, lighting, railings, trees and low level planting.
Minister Hargey said:
“This project will have a positive impact on the local area by transforming a derelict area in to an open and welcoming place for all to use and enjoy. It is a further example of the work my Department does in shaping places and contributing to a vibrant City Centre, for the benefit of all including our local neighbourhoods.
“The area has been derelict for some time and with these works the area will be transformed into an attractive place for the community to enjoy. I look forward to seeing the improvements in the time ahead.”
Initial clearance work on the project area has commenced with further demolition and construction work to follow this month. The project should complete by the end of June 2021.
Notes to editors:
- The Ravenhill Rest Garden Public Realm Environmental Improvement scheme is on lands south of Albert Bridge on the Ravenhill Road, beside Potter’s Quay, and opposite Short Strand.
- Media enquiries to the DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey: ‘I am more determined than ever to deliver a new stadium at Casement Park’ 28 July 2021
- Minister Hargey urges DWP to retain £20 Universal Credit uplift 27 July 2021
- Hargey welcomes the safe reopening of theatres and indoor concert settings 26 July 2021
- Minister Hargey continues to promote LGBTQI+ inclusion and visibility 23 July 2021