The Urban Development Grant scheme, which provides support to developers to help bring vacant, derelict or underused land and buildings back into use, has been reopened by Social Development Minister Lord Morrow MLA.
The Urban Development Grants (UDG) are discretionary grants provided to help urban areas in Northern Ireland. A range of physical development projects may attract UDG including: inner/middle city housing, retail, commercial and light industrial. Applications are being invited from developers from 4 April 2016 and must be received by the Department by 13 May 2016.
Minister Morrow said: “I am delighted to announce that, despite challenging budgets, I can reopen the Urban Development Grant scheme. My Department is particularly keen to see applications from developers with projects that enhance or complement Government’s own plans to regenerate areas, create jobs, attract investment and improve the environment.
“In some town centres and disadvantaged areas there is little chance that dereliction and decline can be halted without government intervention. In the past this scheme has supported regeneration in such areas throughout Northern Ireland. I look forward to further environmental, social and economic improvements being delivered to our communities as a result of this Grant scheme.”
More information on the Urban Development Grant scheme, including the application form and notes, are available.
Notes to editors:
- The UDG scheme has been closed since May 2014. Further information and contact details are available
- This grant operates under the European Commission’s General Block Exemption Regulation (GBER). All aid provided under this scheme will be within the limits set out in Articles 14 and 56 of Commission Regulation (EU) No 651/2014 of 17 June 2014 declaring certain categories of aid compatible with the internal market in application of Articles 107 and 108 of the Treaty (General Block Exemption Regulation).
- Media enquiries to DSD Press Office on 028 9082 9476 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.
- Department for Communities invests in Mid & East Antrim town centre initiatives 02 October 2023
- £55 million of additional benefits claimed through ‘Make the Call’ 02 October 2023
- New Lower Shankill park officially opened 29 September 2023
- Statistics on engagement in culture, arts, heritage and sport released 28 September 2023