The Department for Communities is reminding landlords who registered or renewed with the Landlord Registration Scheme during January, February, and March 2021 that it is time to renew their registration if they are still a landlord.
The Landlord Registration Scheme was introduced in February 2014 and each period of registration lasts for three years. Landlords who registered or renewed with the scheme at the beginning of 2021 will need to check when their registration expires and, if they are continuing to rent out their properties, they need to register with the scheme for a further three years. By not renewing the registration while continuing to let properties, landlords are not complying with the law.
The Landlord Registration Scheme aims to improve tenants’ confidence in their landlords and increase landlords’ accountability by promoting good practice and ensuring appropriate advice and assistance is available. By registering with the scheme, landlords have access to the landlord newsletter and the landlord helpline operated by Housing Rights.
More information on the Landlord Registration Scheme, including how to register and renew your registration, is available at NI Direct.
Landlords can renew their registration two months prior to the end of their current registration.
A landlord who does not register may face a fixed penalty of £500 or a court fine of up to £2,500.
Landlords are reminded to ensure their contact details are up-to-date.
Notes to editors:
- A message will be sent to the email address provided by the landlord four weeks prior to the end of the current registration. The landlord needs to check their spam folder in case this email is not delivered to the inbox and ensure their contact information is correct and up to date on the Landlord Registration Scheme.
- Landlords can also renew their registration by telephone on 0300 200 7821 – and must have full details of any joint owners to hand when making the call.
- For media queries contact the Department for Communities at DFC Press Office
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Communities Minister outlines way forward for Sign Languages 20 February 2024
- My priority is to deliver positive change for people - Lyons 13 February 2024
- Public Appointment opportunity: Appointment of the Vice-Chair and Members to the board of Sport Northern Ireland 08 February 2024
- 01 February 2024