The Department for Communities has welcomed the official opening today of the refurbished facilities at Blackie River Community Group in West Belfast.
The Department funded £303,000 towards the refurbishment of the building and the community garden.
Iain Orr from the Department for Communities said:
I am delighted to announce the completion of the new Community Garden and the comprehensive refurbishment of the building at the Blackie River Community Group premises at Beechmount Pass, West Belfast.
In providing this funding the Department is helping to maintain valuable community services in the area. We wish Blackie River Community Group every success with their improved facilities.
An objective for the Department is that these areas will become more attractive places in which to live, work, play and invest. Of course, schemes like this do not happen on their own and this project is an excellent example of the public/community sectors coming together to deliver benefits for this local community, in this case between Belfast Regeneration Directorate staff from Department for Communities and colleagues in Belfast City Council, NI Housing Executive, and Children in Need with assistance from Development Trust NI.
Blackie River Community Group Chairperson Seán Quinn, commenting on the works programme, said:
On behalf of the Directors of the Blackie River Community Group, I am delighted to announce the completion of the new Community Garden and the comprehensive refurbishment of the building.
These building works were carried out with the cooperation and assistance of many groups and individuals and funded by the Department for Communities.
Notes to editors:
- The project is being funded by the Department for Communities through its Neighbourhood Renewal Office and Public Realm Environmental Improvement Programme.
- DfC has funded £303,000 in total for the outdoor community garden and the refurbishment of the building with £192,000 from the Public Realm and Environmental Improvement Unit and £111,000 from Neighbourhood Renewal.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3509 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Communities Minister announces further boost for Covid-19 Community Support Fund 14 January 2021
- Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey outlines her plans for 2021 16 December 2020
- COVID-19 Service Updates 11 December 2020
- Communities Minister’s £6.5m additional support for vulnerable people over the Christmas period 10 December 2020