The Department for Communities has published the Summary Report relating to the 2021 Review of the Caravans Act.
A Working Group made up of representatives from the Department for Communities (DfC), Department for the Economy (DfE) and Department for Infrastructure (DfI) has produced the agreed Summary Report in line with their respective responsibilities as follows:
- DfC has written the departmental response and associated recommendations in respect of the residential caravan sector (Park Homes and Irish Travellers);
- DfE has written the departmental response and associated recommendations in respect of the holiday caravan sector; and
- DfI has written the commentary pertaining to licensing responsibilities.
The onus will be on each Department to take forward the outworkings of these recommendations, as aligned to their respective responsibilities.
The report is available here:
Notes to editors:
Notes to editors:
- The legislative provisions contained within the Act are cross-cutting. DfC has responsibility, under Parts 1 & 3 of the Act, for the residential caravan sector and Irish travellers. DfE has policy responsibility for the holiday sector under Part 2 of the Act. DfI has a role under Part 4 of the Act to prescribe the dimensions of structures to be regarded as caravans, and additionally under the 1963 Caravans Act DfI makes provision for the licensing and control of caravan sites.
- There is a statutory requirement for DfC to review the Caravans Act (NI) 2011 every five years. The first review of the Act, which took place in 2016, looked at the Act in its entirety. It was agreed that a similar approach should be taken in respect of the 2021 Review.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office:
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter- @CommunitiesNI
- Event to celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPWD) 2023 24 November 2023
- Village Catalyst breathes new life into Ederney 17 November 2023
- Historic documents to be put on display as part of a regional tour of local libraries by PRONI 14 November 2023
- Public appointment opportunity: Appointment of members to the Northern Ireland Central Investment Fund for Charities Advisory Committee 10 November 2023