Communities Minister Carál Ní Chuilín has welcomed a £40m Executive allocation to councils to help address their financial pressures as a result of the COVID-19 crisis.
Speaking after today’s Executive meeting Minister Ni Chuilin said:
“Councils here have faced significant financial challenges as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and so this financial support will help to alleviate these losses thus ensuring Councils can positively contribute to local economic, social and environmental recovery, and help to play a very vital role in that recovery."
The Minister added:
“Councils will be key in the delivery of public services throughout the period of recovery, in terms of economic and community development. It is critical that councils are supported financially in order to deliver these much needed public services in the months ahead and to enable them to support economic recovery.”
On 19 May 2020, Minister Hargey announced that the Executive was allocating £20.3 million to local councils to assist them with their financial pressures as a result of Covid-19. That funding helped ensure that local councils continued to provide essential services and supported those in need.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on @CommunitiesNI
- Communities Minister outlines way forward for Sign Languages 20 February 2024
- My priority is to deliver positive change for people - Lyons 13 February 2024
- Public Appointment opportunity: Appointment of the Vice-Chair and Members to the board of Sport Northern Ireland 08 February 2024
- Reminder to landlords to renew registration 01 February 2024