Minister for Social Development, Mervyn Storey, MLA has attended an event to celebrate the completion of revitalisation works in Ballymoney town centre.
The aim of the £239,000 scheme is to support existing traders in the development of their businesses, to promote the area as a destination for shoppers, and to improve the attractiveness of the shop frontages.
Minister Storey said: “Today really is a day for celebration. The completion of the revitalisation scheme is the first step in bringing the Ballymoney Masterplan to life and an excellent start to transforming the town.
“Not only is the town more attractive following the spruce up of buildings in Main Street and Castlecroft, but people can now relax with a coffee and take advantage of the free Wi-Fi on Main Street.
“In addition, the Ballymoney website has also had an upgrade which will help encourage more shoppers into the town; and while in the town shoppers can take advantage of a new Ballymoney town card which will offer cardholders exclusive deals in shops and cafes.
“The increased footfall which will come from these improvements will not only help boost the economy of the town, but it will promote a sense of pride for the people of Ballymoney.”
Mayor, Councillor Michelle Knight-McQuillan said: “Main Street has greatly benefitted from the investment by the Department for Social Development and Council in a revitalisation scheme which has seen many of the buildings transformed along this key commercial street, helping ensure a brighter future for the town. The town centre is a conservation area and the work complements the ongoing work of Ballymoney Regeneration Company through its Townscape Heritage Initiative.”
Notes to editors:
- A steering group consisting of local Councillors and traders was established to deliver this revitalisation project with support from the Department for Social Development. The work consisted of external work to buildings, included painting facades and the replacement of shop fronts, signage and rainwater goods on 47 properties in Main Street and Castlecroft
- See photos from the event at the Department for Social Development’s Flickr collection
- Media enquiries to DSD Press Office on 028 9082 9496. Out of office hours please contact Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned
- Minister encourages people not to miss out on claiming Pension Credit 29 September 2020
- £7m fund to open for Social Enterprises 25 September 2020
- £40m allocated to help address pressures faced by local Councils 24 September 2020
- Funding provides lifeline to Arts, Culture and Heritage sectors - Ní Chuilín 24 September 2020