Communities Minister Paul Givan MLA has announced Lisburn Road Library in Belfast is to benefit from an investment of £1.5million to upgrade and modernise the library building.
The funding from the Department for Communities will be used by Libraries NI to add an extension to the existing building, refurbish the interior and make the library more accessible for its customers.
Minister Givan said: “This is a significant investment of £1.5million for Lisburn Road Library. The extensive renovation will transform the building to ensure it is a modern, fit-for-purpose facility. I am confident that, once complete, the upgrade will be of great benefit to local people.
“I am keen to make sure that libraries continue to play an important role in Northern Ireland. They offer access to information and learning for all. Libraries also provide a shared space and are highly valued by the entire community. I am sure the revitalised Lisburn Road building will act as a catalyst to attract new users.”
Work on the redevelopment of Lisburn Road Library is currently envisaged to begin later this year. It is expected the project will take approximately one year to complete.
Libraries NI Chief Executive Irene Knox welcomed the announcement, saying: “Libraries NI is delighted that the Minister has acknowledged the important role of libraries and we are grateful for the funding that is being made available to improve and enhance the building and services provided by Lisburn Road Library. The estimated cost for the project is around £1.5 million and this funding will ensure that we can provide a modern and welcoming library for the people of the Library Road and surrounding area.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- For media enquiries please contact DfC Press Office 028 9082 9494 or email email@example.com. For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on pager 07699715440 and your call will be returned.
- Department for Communities invests in Mid & East Antrim town centre initiatives 02 October 2023
- £55 million of additional benefits claimed through ‘Make the Call’ 02 October 2023
- New Lower Shankill park officially opened 29 September 2023
- Statistics on engagement in culture, arts, heritage and sport released 28 September 2023