The Department for Communities has appointed Ms Marie Cavanagh to carry out the second independent statutory Review of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessment.
The Welfare Reform (Northern Ireland) Order 2015 states that the Department must lay before the Assembly an independent Review on the operation of PIP assessments within two years of go live and a second Review within four years. PIP was first introduced in June 2016.
The Department laid the first independent Review to the Assembly in June 2018. The second independent Review should be laid before 20 June 2020.
The review will provide the Department for Communities with a second independent report:-
- evaluating the progress made on recommendations arising from the first Review.
- evaluating awareness and experience of the PIP assessment process for new applications, award reviews and people reporting changes.
- evaluate the process to ensure the most appropriate assessment type is selected, paper-based reviews, face to face at the Assessment centre or the home.
- evaluation of the effectiveness of the arrangements for ensuring accurate reports are produced.
- evaluate how effectively further evidence is being used to assist the correct claim decision, exploring the balance between how much and the type of evidence we source and what we ask people to provide.
Notes to editors:
- Marie Cavanagh has over thirty years’ experience in the voluntary and community sector, working with women and families on social welfare and rights based issues in areas of socio-economic disadvantage. She is formerly Chair for the Northern Ireland Council for Voluntary Action (NICVA) and is currently Chair of Children in NI, both of which are umbrella organisations within the community and voluntary Sector.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on 028 9082 3516 or email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Appointment of the Chair to the Local Government Staff Commission for Northern Ireland 23 October 2020
- Appointment of the Education Advisor (Trustee) to the Board of W5 (Who,What,Where, When, Why) 21 October 2020
- Individual artists first to benefit from £29m funding package 19 October 2020
- COVID-19 Service Updates 19 October 2020