The Northern Ireland Benefits Statistics Summary, providing an overview of the main Department for Communities (DfC) administered benefits, was published by DfC today.
Unless stated otherwise, the figures are at February 2016. Key findings include:
- the number of Jobseeker’s Allowance claimants was 38,360. This represents a decrease of 6,990 since February 2015
- the number of Employment and Support Allowance claimants was 120,620 and the number of Employment and Support Allowance recipients was 115,290. This represents an increase in claimants of 4,190 on a year earlier
- at March 2016 the number of Incapacity Benefit claimants was 2,480 and the number of Incapacity Benefit recipients was 10
- at March 2016 the number of Severe Disablement Allowance claimants was 1,540 and the number of Severe Disablement Allowance recipients was 1,500
- there were 38,740 claimants of Income Support. This represents a fall of 420 since February 2015
- there were 254,270 people of working age claiming a key benefit. This has fallen by 2,130 from a year earlier
- at March 2016 the number of State Pension claimants was 307,150 an increase of 1,540 on a year earlier
- there were 82,270 claimants and 100,560 beneficiaries of Pension Credit. Claimants have fallen by 4,630 since February 2015, mainly as a result of an increase in the age of entitlement and increases in State Pension amounts
- there were 312,050 people over state pension age claiming a key benefit, an increase of 1,240 since February 2015
- the number of Disability Living Allowance recipients was 210,260. This has risen by 6,470 since February 2015
- the number of Attendance Allowance recipients was 51,480 representing a fall of 1,290 on a year earlier.
- the number of Carer’s Allowance claimants was 70,280. This represents an increase of 2,030 since February 2015
Notes to editors:
- The Northern Ireland Benefits Statistics Summary provides an up to date and concise overview of the main benefits administered by the Department for Communities.
- The summary is based on data at February 2016. Statistics are based on 100% samples of information.
- The publication is produced quarterly, at February, May, August and November each year.
- Previous publications are available from the Department’s website
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Communities Press Office on 028 9082 9497 or email email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.
- Department for Communities invests in Mid & East Antrim town centre initiatives 02 October 2023
- £55 million of additional benefits claimed through ‘Make the Call’ 02 October 2023
- New Lower Shankill park officially opened 29 September 2023
- Statistics on engagement in culture, arts, heritage and sport released 28 September 2023