The Northern Ireland Benefits Statistics Summary, providing an overview of the main DfC administered benefits, was published by the Department for Communities today.
Unless stated otherwise, the figures are at August 2017. Key findings include:
- As at August, the number of Jobseeker’s Allowance claimants was 29,900. This represents a decrease of 4,720 on a year earlier.
- The number of Employment and Support Allowance claimants was 129,250 and the number of Employment and Support Allowance recipients was 120,300. This represents an increase in claimants of 5,750 on a year earlier.
- As at September the number of Incapacity Benefit claimants was 1,910 and there were no recipients of Incapacity Benefit.
- As at September the number of Severe Disablement Allowance claimants was 1,320 and the number of Severe Disablement Allowance recipients was 1,290.
- There were 35,820 claimants of Income Support. This represents a fall of 3,040 since August 2016.
- There were 245,130 people of working age claiming a key benefit. This has fallen by 9,160 from a year earlier. This fall is partly due to the managed reassessment of the existing Disability Living Allowance caseload to Personal Independence Payment, for which data is not yet included.
- The number of State Pension claimants was 307,340, a decrease of 710 on a year earlier.
- There were 75,290 claimants and 91,420 beneficiaries of Pension Credit. Claimants have fallen by 4,330 since August 2016, mainly as a result of an increase in the age of entitlement and increases in State Pension amounts.
- There were 312,330 people over state pension age claiming a key benefit.
- The number of Disability Living Allowance claimants was 192,700. This has fallen by 22,300 in the last year, mainly due to the introduction of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people of working age.
- The number of Attendance Allowance claimants was 54,930 representing a fall of 730 on a year earlier.
- The number of Carer’s Allowance claimants was 73,450. This represents an increase of 1,300 since August 2016.
Notes to editors:
- The Northern Ireland Benefits Statistics Summary provides an up to date and concise overview of the main benefits administered by the Department for Communities excluding Housing Benefit and Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
- The summary is based on data at August/September 2017. Statistics are based on 100% samples of information.
- The publication is produced quarterly, at February, May, August and November each year.
- Previous publications are also available
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Communities Press Office on 028 9082 3516 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.