A new state of the art play park has been opened today in the Meadowlands area of Downpatrick.
The facilities were funded by the Department for Communities (DfC) with a £225,000 investment through the Neighbourhood Renewal Intervention Fund (NRIF). A contributed of £25,000 towards the project was also made from Newry and Mourne District Council (NM&DDC).
Speaking at the opening, DfC Deputy Permanent Secretary, Moira Doherty said: “I am delighted to be here today to official open this new play park which has facilities for children of all abilities and is truly inclusive for the Meadowlands area. This facility is the culmination of a real team effort with many individuals and organisations in this area. Partnership working is vital to projects like this one come to fruition and I thank the council for all their hard work.”
Councillor Charlie Casey, Chair of Newry, Mourne & Down District Council, stated “This state of the art play park is a fantastic asset to Downpatrick and is already being used extensively by the local community. The health & wellbeing of our young people is imperative, and this new play park will help them enjoy physical exercise in a safe and friendly environment. It is an excellent example of what can be achieved through effective partnership working. “
The Chairperson of Meadowlands Community Association, Danny Quinn, added: “As Chairman of Meadowlands Community Association I welcome this new facility for the children of the Meadowlands area. We have waited a very long time for this investment and I would like to sincerely thank DfC and NM&DDC for all their work on this project.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department has provided £225k through the Neighbourhood Renewal Investment Fund. Newry Mourne & Down District Council have led and delivered the project and contributed £25,000 alongside project management experience. The project completed on 31st March 2019.
- Meadowlands is a large social housing estate with over 250 children under the age of 15 with no play/community facilities
- For updates on the Department for Communities follow us on Twitter - @CommunitiesNI
- For media enquiries or images please contact the DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3532 or out of office hours contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Ballymena man convicted for benefit fraud 10 October 2019
- Benefit fraud weekly review 08 October 2019
- Four convicted at Belfast Magistrates’ Court of benefit fraud 08 October 2019
- Exciting new youth programme commences in Derg 07 October 2019