Communities Minister, Deirdre Hargey MLA wrote today to all community and voluntary sector groups funded by her Department to assure them of her support as they gear up to respond to the impact of COVID-19 in communities here.
“The role of community organisations has never been more important as we seek to protect people who might be vulnerable across our communities. I’ve been heartened with the community response that is already kicking in. Volunteers and community activists are pulling together and seeking to work with government as we tackle this threat to public health together. I want to make sure that whatever help I can put in place is there to make sure this important work is supported.
“I have taken steps to ensure that flexibility is there for Groups who are responding to the threat presented by COVID-19, who might otherwise be thinking about delivery targets or administration. We need to support people to do the right thing right now.”
The Minister continued:
“I am also announcing today that I will bring forward very quickly a COVID-19 related Community Contingency Fund. As things develop over the coming weeks, I want to make sure that funding will be available where it is needed by groups who are supporting people who are socially isolated, struggling financially or who can’t access food supplies.
“I will continuously review the situation and work with other departments across the Executive to coordinate our response.”
Seamus McAleavey, Chief Executive of NICVA, with whom the Minister has been discussing a co-ordinated response, said:
“NICVA welcomes this approach by the Minister to support the Sector as we work together to respond to these unprecedented challenges. I too have been heartened by the willingness of groups on the ground to step up in any way they can to support their communities. I look forward to NIVCA working further with the Minister’s officials on the design of the Community Support Fund.”
Notes to editors:
- Pictured with Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey MLA are NICVA Chief Executive Seamus McAleavey and NICVA Deputy Chief Executive Una McKernan.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3516 or email: press.Office@communities-ni.gov.uk. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey welcomes return of spectators to sports events and further reopening of sports activities 13 May 2021
- Funding boost for Newry Neighbourhood Renewal Area 11 May 2021
- Hargey welcomes job opportunities for young people as JobStart scheme takes flight 10 May 2021
- Hargey updates the Housing Council on Housing Executive revitalisation 05 May 2021