Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has wished local athletes taking part in the Tokyo Paralympics every success as the Games get underway.
The Minister said:
“To compete at the Paralympics is a wonderful achievement and the culmination of years of hard work, dedication and perseverance. We should all be proud of our Paralympic athletes who have qualified for Tokyo and I will be following their fortunes with close interest.
“As well as giving my support to the competitors at the Games I would also like to recognise the support network that has helped to get them there including family, coaches and sports governing bodies. This support has been essential in helping our athletes qualify for Tokyo.
“Our Paralympians will be invaluable as role models to encourage young people, in particular those with disabilities, to participate in sport and perhaps even reach this level of achievement."
The Minister concluded:
"I look forward to watching our Paralympians in action and hope that they achieve their goals at the Games, with some medals brought home from Tokyo.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to the DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey visits Omagh to view recent regeneration projects 16 August 2022
- Hargey thanks outgoing Discretionary Support Commissioner 15 August 2022
- Minister urges people to ‘Make the Call’ as cost of living crisis deepens 12 August 2022
- Minister Hargey views improvements to Lanark Way junction, Belfast 11 August 2022