Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has welcomed the improvements to Newry City centre as a result of a £2.2m investment.
Parts of Hill Street, O’Hagan Street, Mill Street and St Colmans Park in Newry have just received an upgrade as part of a new public realm scheme.
Minister Hargey said:
“This £2.2m investment has been a welcome boost for Newry City centre. Public realm schemes such as this deliver physical enhancements to our town and city centres and make them more appealing, accessible, vibrant and welcoming places to be. This supports local businesses and employment growth.
“I am sure everyone who uses the city centre has seen the improvements take shape and can now enjoy all the benefits the improved environment brings as the city centre continues in its recovery from the economic impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic.”
The project was majority funded by the Department for Communities with funding also coming from Newry, Mourne & Down District Council who managed the delivery of the scheme.
The project has delivered new improved safer footways, new street lighting, new pedestrian and controlled crossings and improvements to road layouts. An additional entrance has also been added to St Colman’s Park as well as seating and landscaping improvements.
The Chair of Newry Mourne and Down District Council, Cllr Cathy Mason, stated:
“With on-site delivery commencing during the 2020 lockdown it was a very difficult time for both traders and our wider community. The now completed scheme has been a great benefit and boost to Newry as local traders try to rebuild their business and encourage footfall back into the City Centre.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey releases £2.7million of Covid support to creative individuals 03 December 2021
- Hargey celebrates United Nations International Day of Persons with Disabilities 03 December 2021
- Hargey consults to increase protections for people and families at risk of eviction 01 December 2021
- Hargey launches Queen’s Quay development consultation 29 November 2021