Up to 87 commercial properties on Spencer Road and Carlisle Road in Derry are set to benefit from revitalisation works announced by Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey.
The Minister has awarded funding of £1.14 million to Derry City and Strabane District Council to deliver the revitalisation schemes which will be used to enhance shop frontages including replacement signage and painting, replacement of rainwater goods, repairs to render brickwork and removal of external shutters.
Minister Hargey said:
“This £1.14m investment is a welcome boost for Derry.
“This will contribute to the long term economic viability of both busy shopping and social thoroughfares helping businesses recover from the pandemic.
“This investment will help local businesses improve their shop facades making city centre shopping in Derry more appealing. Through projects like these, my Department continues to help support our town and city centres as they continue the process of economic recovery.”
The Department has worked closely with the Council and City Centre Initiative to develop the projects and works are due to commence early in 2022.
Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council Alderman Graham Warke welcomed this investment in the city.
“This investment being channelled into Carlisle Road and Spencer Road will certainly improve the local retail and hospitality environment and will greatly assist in providing support to the local business community as part of the wider COVID recovery. This investment will also improve the look and feel of both areas, enhancing the physical presentation of these important commercial streetscapes to make them more attractive to the benefit of businesses and shoppers/visitors. I welcome the collaborative approach taken by DfC, Council and City Centre Initiative in working together to bring forward projects that will assist in creating a thriving and successful local economy.”
Notes to editors:
- The Revitalisation works are due to complete on both schemes by late 2022.
- Funding of up to £1.14m has been allocated to Spencer Road and Carlisle Road for revitalisation works on up to 87 properties
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey releases £2.7million of Covid support to creative individuals 03 December 2021
- Hargey celebrates United Nations International Day of Persons with Disabilities 03 December 2021
- Hargey consults to increase protections for people and families at risk of eviction 01 December 2021
- Hargey launches Queen’s Quay development consultation 29 November 2021