Arts Minister Paul Givan MLA has announced the appointment of Mr John Edmund as the new Chair of the Board of the Arts Council NI.
The appointment is for a term of up to four years from 1 January 2017.
Welcoming the appointment Minister Givan said: “I am pleased to make this appointment as Mr Edmund brings a wealth of skills and experience, as well as a passion for the arts, to the Board of the Arts Council NI. The organisation plays a crucial role in encouraging our society to access and to become fully involved in arts and culture, and I am confident that Mr Edmund will lead the Arts Council NI in progressing and developing the arts.”
Thanking the outgoing Chair Bob Collins, the Minister said: “I would like to personally thank Bob for the leadership, vision and commitment that he has given to the organisation and I wish him well for the future.”
Notes to editors:
- The Arts Council NI has a key role to play in developing and improving the knowledge, appreciation and practice of the arts, and increasing public access to and participation in the arts. The Arts Council NI is also responsible for the distribution of Lottery grants. Its statutory functions are set out in The Arts Council (Northern Ireland) Order 1995.
- The Chair position attracts remuneration of £10,000 per annum. Travel and subsistence allowances are also payable. This post will require a commitment of at least 40 days per year.
- In addition, the Chair is expected to ensure the visibility of the Council by attending arts events on a regular basis.
- The appointment has been made in accordance with the ‘Code of Practice for Ministerial Public Appointments in Northern Ireland’ issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
- Biographical details of appointee:
Mr John Edmund:
Mr Edmund is a strategic planning and organisational development consultant, and a marketing professional. He is a former Chairman (Worldwide) of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, Chair of the NI Music Industry Commission, Vice-President of the European Marketing Confederation and Director of the Odyssey Trust Co Ltd. He brings a range of leadership skills and change management experience to the Arts Council NI. Mr Edmund has no other public appointments and has undertaken no political activity during the past five years.
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Media enquires to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3505. Out of hours, please contact the Duty Press Office via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Warrenpoint man convicted for £7,000 benefit fraud 19 August 2019
- PRONI welcomes continuation of CAIN partnership 19 August 2019
- Benefit fraud weekly review 13 August 2019
- Reappointment of a Member of the Board of Trustees of WhoWhatWhereWhenWhy (W5) Ltd 13 August 2019