Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced her Department is investing £224,000 into a series of regeneration initiatives across the Ards and North Down Council area.
The work is underway and is being led by the Council. The works are being funded through the Department’s business as usual regeneration programmes with local councils and includes new lighting, portable events infrastructure and enhancements to the business support website for the area.
Minister Hargey stated:
“This investment is a further example of the support my Department provides so that practical measures can be put in the place to support our town centres. It is a difficult time for our town centres and we all hope there are brighter days ahead.
“In addition to my Department’s usual regeneration activities, I have also sought to support our high streets and town centres through the pandemic via the Covid-19 Recovery Revitalisation Programme which has seen an allocation of £1.8m to the Ards and North Down Council area. The funding through this programme has supported a wide range of schemes including business adaptations, public realm improvements and street coverings.
“Together, the initiatives delivered through these separate investments are providing valuable assistance to our town centres.”
The Mayor of Ards and North Down, Councillor Trevor Cummings, said:
“It is a testament to the strength of the Council’s partnership with the Department for Communities, that together we have been able to work on a recovery plan that will encourage residents and visitors to each of our five main towns as we continue on the pathway to recovery from Covid-19. This funding will greatly enhance the facilities in our towns and help make these areas more vibrant and attractive for all. Our business website has been a great resource for local SMEs during the pandemic, providing information on various government support schemes, as well as tailored advice on recovery issues, these improvements will enhance further our ability to serve the business community.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to the DfC Press Office on email
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for Media Enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey: ‘I am more determined than ever to deliver a new stadium at Casement Park’ 28 July 2021
- Minister Hargey urges DWP to retain £20 Universal Credit uplift 27 July 2021
- Hargey welcomes the safe reopening of theatres and indoor concert settings 26 July 2021
- Minister Hargey continues to promote LGBTQI+ inclusion and visibility 23 July 2021